Friday, November 6, 2009

A Big Basket for Blankets: Improvised

I love blankets. I love to wrap up in them. I love to have them out for people to wrap up in when they visit. (Bear in mind our cheapness thriftiness, it stays between 62-64 degrees in our house all winter.) I like when other people have them out in their house. I think they add such coziness and warmth (imagine that!) to a living room.

I have never done this well. I've always wanted a h.u.g.e basket for putting blankets in. You know, the kind that are over $100.


Like these beauties from Pottery Barn for $89-$129.

Photo Credit: Pottery Barn


Or this one from Restoration Hardware for a mere $149.


Photo Credit: Resoration Hardware

Now I know they sell them at Marshalls or TJ Maxx for a discounted $40-$60, but I still don't want to pay $50 for a basket. I love my husband that much!


Well, I busted out my blankets since its November now. And after rearranging the furniture in my living room a little, I had the perfect space to store my blankets beside the loveseat. Then, I remembered these two crates that were left here by the previous owner. I used them outside this summer to decorate the back porch....

Pretty nasty after being outside all summer and then in my scarey basement for a few days...



a good scrubbing and this would be my blanket "basket" improvised.. for F.R.E.E! It holds 5 throw blankets! I'm way excited! I didn't bother repainting or anything







Shopping the house never felt so good!

*Edited to Add: Get over to Get your Martha On for her awesome Pottery Barn giveaway. you know, the one or two or maybe three of you that will see this.... ;)

*Edited to Add: I'm linking this up to MET Monday at Between Naps on the Porch!


*Also Edited to Add: I'll link up to DIY Day at Kimba's. At her NEW place on the web!!

DIY Day @ ASPTL

8 comments:

  1. What a great solution! It always feels good to use something you already have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you solved your blanket storage problem and the best thing is $0. Very creative solution:)

    Vail

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. It looks so rustic and the dimensions are perfect! Clever you!
    Best wishes, Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FREE...is always awesome!!! The crate looks great...thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have a basket weakness. I thought for sure you were going to have wrapped them in thick twine and braided on some handles :) But that is totally perfect too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! I picked up several large baskets this fall at auctions - whenever they were $5-10 because I too am too thrifty to pay retail! I think I still have one in the garage that didn't get anything in it, this will be perfect because my thermostat is very much like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent solution and it adds some character to the room as well!

    pk @ Room Remix

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect....I like yours much better! Smart mama!
    Mama Holli

    ReplyDelete