Monday, October 19, 2009

A Sign for a Coat Rack

Signs seem to be popping up everywhere in decorating. I see them used all over blogland. I see them used in Potterybarn. So how happy was I when I spied this Maple House sign in the 2nd floor loft of our garage!! What is Maple House, you ask? I have no idea. I have no clue why the previous owners had this sign or what it was used for. But I made it into a coat rack and it now sits in our entryway. (Awaiting the Rustic Bench from PB for a mere $249 that I so long to have underneath my FREE coat rack ... but I will be longing for a long, long time)

First, I stained her all up with Minwax's dark walnut. I tried to deepen her tone with the dark walnut to age her just a bit. Then I tapped a small finish nail every so often to start the holes for some hooks.



The hooks I also found around this house in various closets. I simply screwed them into the starter holes that I made with the finish nails. Then I enlisted hubby to help me hang it on the wall. (It is quite solid and heavy!)
Total Cost: FREE!!!!
And I'm linking up to Kimba's DIY Day at ASPTL

9 comments:

  1. Love it. Love the price tag even more!

    Your children are adorable by the way! :)

    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! And I love that you found it in your garage! Maybe if you ever sell your house, this should "stay with the house" and be passed down from owner to owner. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sooooo cute!!!! lovin it (can't wait to see it with your bench!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I want to do something like this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great repurpose! I love the lettering and your again process is perfect! thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the sign! So unique and perfect! Great job!

    Your walls look awesome too! Thanks so much for sharing!I'm off to check out more! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great great find! Love the shape of that!

    Thanks for sharing this link in my

    http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/2009/11/new-uses-formore-metal-stuff-of-course.html

    post!!

    Funky Junk Donna

    ReplyDelete