Monday, November 2, 2009

PotteryBarn's Typewriter Keys Knock-Off

I saw this picture about two months ago and loved it...

Photo Credit: PotteryBarn
Specifically, I'm loving those typewriter keys. SO then I happen upon Suzie Harris' project at Bienvenue ....

Photo Credit: Bienvenue


And I believe she has this listed in her etsy store ... unless someone snatched it up already. Had I known of Suzie's incredible sign making skills at the time, I would not have attempted this project... but I didn't. And I thought to myself, "I could make that."

Yea, leave the sign making to the truly gifted, crafty signmakers and not to mommies of 2 kiddos (2 and under) whose patience is nowhere in sight lacking by the time they are able to work on this project each night.

So fast forward a bit .... I used some thin plywood underlayment that we had in our garage from when we tore up the old kitchen floor. Yes, we save used underlayment around here. And I cut it to 30"x30". Pottery Barn's version is 42"x42" but that is just huge for my space. So I chopped off a foot in either direction.


I painted it up with Behr's seaside sand, which I always have on hand. Then I used black licorice acrylic paint for the circles, which cost me $0.97 at WalMart.



I printed out my letters and numbers/symbols in a font that I liked and I traced around them really hard with a pen so that they would imprint on the underlayment. And I filled in the traced letters. And that stretched me. I long to be crafty.. I really do.. but it stretched me. Fortunately I'm not afraid of paint... and I had to repaint one or two or three.




When all of the letters were painted, I stained that bad boy with Minwax's Provencial 211, which I also had on hand.

And there she is. The PB version is going for $349. I made mine for $0.97 and a lot of labor.




And I am looking forward to editing this post to include the finished product hanging in my living room.... but I literally just finished staining tonight and was too excited not to share ..... And come to think of it - I'm definitely going to add another coat of stain. It needs to be darkened up. any thoughts on that...?


I'm linking this up to DIY Day at Kimba's.
Happy DIY day.... all you who actually completely finish your projects before posting!

Edited to add: I'm linking this up to the I can make that party at Just A Girl because I have a couple friends who have specifically requested one.... and while I didn't think of it as a gift (you can see it hanging on my wall here) I do have a ton more underlayment and paint! Maybe I could crank out one or two for gifts before Christmas!

Now all I need is more time....


25 comments:

  1. I tore that page out of the PB catalog too! Yours looks just as good, and I like the idea of a smaller size. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks fantastic, and would be even better with another coat of stain that has a little more brown to it.

    I often times see PB wall art that I love and thought could easily be redone. Nice to know that folks out there are accomplishing it. Maybe I'll tackle a project myself one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job! I want to imitate this one, myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good! I am so inspired! I saw that too and fell in love. Plus my husband is a writer so I have a thing for print. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGoodness!! This is incredible! You did an amazing job. I am sure you are so happy every time you see it. :) It looks very professiona. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Way to go-I know how hard projects are with kiddos around-it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did an awesome job.The finished project is amazing! Thank you for the inspiration.I think I might attempt to do one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would say you are pretty gifted in the sign making department! great work. if patience are needed for this project, count me out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah I agree with everyone else what a fantastic job! You are very gifted in sign making.Very nice job!

    Stop on by and enter my giveaway and see all the creative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marvelous-ness! Good on ya :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did such a great job. I love it. I going to have to make one to put in my family room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for linking to my blog in the sidebar! I love finding new blogs to read and am tickled when they pop up in my sitemeter. You did an awesome job on this project. You're not giving yourself enough credit. Totally inspiring. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a fantastic job! I LOVE it! I think it turned out beautiful! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I saw that Susie had done this, I thought she was crazy. Talented, but crazy! Now I'm thinking you're crazy too! All those tiny symbols at the bottom? Those would have broken me! Be proud of yourself, because it turned out AWESOME!! I WISH I had that kind of talent. Thanks for joining the party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you - I think it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow - this look awesome!!! great knock-off! and a lot of patience for this one i'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just too cool! I too am not so crafty but I can imitate pretty well! I think it turned out amazing for under one dollar!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is seriously awesome! I'm keeping this one for my files! I just love the hand done charm to this. I can see it must be hand done or you lose that quaint quality. Well done!!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was just looking at that in the PB catalogue! Love yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW!!! That's all I can say!!!
    Mama Holli

    ReplyDelete
  21. I saw this in PB and loved it. I saw Suzie's tutorial and still loved it but thought there is no way in your know where that I would have the patience for this. I see yours and I'm in awe. Well done girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG! I bet that took forever! I love it though! You are a brave gal!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this!!! You did a fantastic job and yes, I agree, I would darken it just a shade more. I may have to attempt this also :-)
    www.robinpich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete